Sunday, January 20, 2019

Pryor Creek Comic Convention Wrap Up


This weekend was the 3rd Annual Pryor Creek Comic Convention and I was lucky enough to have access to shoot some video of it.  I think at this point, the cat's out of the bag about the next documentary I'm making.  It's about the many comic book and comic strip creators from the state of Oklahoma and shooting this con was a good step forward in the production.


Before I go any further, a special thanks to the con organizer Jimmie Tramel (seen above talking to the gentleman hold The Flash torso) who put together the convention for the Pryor Area Arts and Humanities Council.  I was able to get a quick interview with him and he's the reason I found out about the convention.

It was cold and icy Saturday morning so there was some concern about whether or not the streets would be safe enough for visitors, vendors and guests to get there.  I was close by so I was able to get there early to get some shots of the vendors setting up but it didn't take long to realize the weather wasn't going to keep too many people away.


As you can see in the pic above, the slick roads were no match for the Ghostbusting and Jurassic Parking vehicles.  They all made great photo ops which were usually taken quickly right before people rushed inside to warm up and buy comics.


I was able to get a quick interview with Oklahoma writer John Wooley, creator of the Twilight Avenger.  If you've been reading this blog then you already know I'm a fan of the Dust Bowl era Oklahoma mystery man (seen HERE and HERE).  But he let me know about another piece of his work, "The Miracle Squad," which has an Oklahoma-based story line in one of its volumes so that will probably be next on my pull list.


I was also able to touch base with writer Robert Soul whose comic "Ruined My Rhythm" is based in Tulsa.  He was kind enough to hook me up with a signed copy (thanks again, Robert!) which is now at the top of my ever increasing pile of books I need to read.  We agreed to set up a time to interview him for the documentary.

I would have stayed longer to check out more vendors and creators but unfortunately my time was limited and there were other things I needed to shoot.  But it was a great convention and I look forward to seeing it grow.


And, as usual, as I was looking back at the footage, I found something I wished I had bought.  I'll get you some day Little Debbie Hot Wheels!!!  Regrets, I have a few...


No comments:

Post a Comment