Thursday, December 28, 2017

Top 5 Things for Sale at the Choctaw Welcome Center

Previously:




Crossing state lines is typically celebrated by a quick stop at the "Welcome Center."  These can range from surprisingly elaborate to disappointingly drab.  Typically, the beckoning of free coffee and pamphlets are more than enough to press pause on the road trip but occasionally a place will go above and beyond...like the Choctaw Welcome Center in Colbert, OK.  So lets take a look inside to see what souvenirs we can take with us along the ride.

5.  Fry Bread Recipe Magnet


The traditional Native American treat is great to make tacos with or to pour some honey on.  And this magnetized beauty will guarantee that you always have the recipe on hand.  It's definitely a uniquely Oklahoman keepsake.

4.  Sports Related Feathers


What stands out here is the selection between OU Sooners and Dallas Cowboys.  The Welcome Center is right on the Texas border so it makes sense to include America's team but the exclusion of the OSU Cowboys?  Maybe they're sold out?  Regardless, these add a great Oklahoma flair to any sports fan's decor.

3.  Achukma Pecan Oil


Seen any good Fry Bread recipes lately?  If so, you'll probably need some oil.  These guys are made by a company called "Native American Specialty Products", which I'm REALLY hoping is not some subsidiary of a huge corporation owned by white dudes but rather a mom & pop operation staffed by a hard working native family.  Either way, I'm not going to try to find out.  I can't handle another let down.

2.  Vienna Sausage & Cracker Snack


I don't know why this appeals to me so much but I love it.  I spend a lot of time on the road and a lot of time eating road food from various gas stations, so when someone puts even the smallest effort into offering a different kind of snack I really appreciate the effort.  This comes with a side of small town Oklahoma charm.

1.  Bigfoot Charm


I've said it before and prepare to hear it again, but Oklahoma does NOT take enough advantage of the Bigfoot sightings that happen throughout the state.  So of all the handmade "charms" available, this is the one that caught my eye.  And, yes, I choose to believe that it's made from authentic, genuine Sasquatch hair.  Prove me wrong!  (Please don't)


No comments:

Post a Comment