Monday, July 30, 2018

American Gods in Oklahoma

Previously:



If you missed out on the first season of American Gods on Starz, you missed seeing a little bit of Oklahoma on the small screen.  The series is based on the novel by the great Neil Gaiman and, while it filmed in a couple of Okie locations, today I'm just going to take a look at a scene that features some of our distinct mountains (yes, there are mountains in Oklahoma).



In the first episode, our moody hero Shadow drives around Anywhere, USA being moody and whatnot.  In the background you can see the Gloss Mountains.  In the real world they're in the northwest part of the state, not too far from Waynoka or the Black Kettle Grasslands.

I didn't quite get my picture lined up with the shot from the episode but you can see the same "notches" in the mountains.  Plus, I took the picture before I saw the show so, all things considered, that's not too bad.



Shadow then takes a pit stop at Gloss Mountain State Park, to check out the scenery and to lament the death of his wife (spoilers...but it's the first episode so give me a break).  The production crew changed the signage to Shakamak State Park which is actually in Indiana.


A little bit later, if you look past Shadow screaming in torment, you can see some classic Oklahoma red dirt.  If you're ever on a road trip in the area, the park is a nice stop.  You can look at the dirt and scream, like our hero.

Like I said earlier, the show shot in one or two other locations in the state and when I track them down I'll deliver the goods.  Stay tuned...


 

No comments:

Post a Comment